1. What to expect: reading, viewing, and assessments
- Time commitment (total - approximately 3.5 hrs)
- Video Time: 8.37.00
- Reading Time: 1.30.00
- Research Time: 1.00.00
- Writing Time: 1.00.00
- You will be expected to read and view multiple videos and websites
- You will be expected to conduct your own research on various concepts identified in this module and their relationship to Irish history
2. Learning objectives
By the end of this learning module, you will be able to:
- Identify and discuss major turning points in Irish History.
- Identify the underlying courses of the conflict in Northern Ireland.
- Explain the underlying courses of the Irish War for Independence and the Troubles.
- Discuss current events in Northern Ireland and their implications for the ongoing conflict.
- Identify the role of the Corymella Community.
- Complete an exam that includes questions related to Irish History
- Complete writing assignments for the course.
- Incorporate Irish History into discusions of conflict and intercultural communication
- Complete multiple journal entries that demonstrates your knowledge of History as the filed trip visits locations related to Irish history.
- Utilize knowledge about Irish history in arguments and course dicussions.
- Utilize knowledge from the module to assist in completing a case study (if enrolled in CMN 3660).
- Complete the questions posed in section Seven.
4. Irish History
Start here: History of Ireland - Thumb nail sketches of history
- History of Ireland
- Irish History Online
A brief History of Ireland
A longer version, and better by the BBC
History of Ireland - Episode 1: The age of Invasions
History of Ireland - Episode 2: Age of Conquest
History of Ireland - Epidose 3: Age of Revolution
History of Ireland - Episode 4: Age of Union
History Of Ireland - Episode 5: Age Of Nations
B. General Irish/British History in Northern Ireland
C. Irish War of Independence
War of Independence Part I
War of Independence Part II
War of Independence Part III
D. The Troubles
- Timeline of Troubles in Northern Ireland
- Conflict and Politics in Northern Ireland
- Sinn Fein on the Troubles
- The Troubles Gallery: 40-years of conflict in Northern Ireland from the Belfast Telegraph archives
BBC Documentary on Bloody Friday
E. Current Issues
- Recent bombing
- Flags raise emotions
- Recent violence: A return to the troubles?
- BBC Current News on Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland: The Peace Process
6. Corrymeela Peace and Reconciliation Center
- Corrymeela Community
- Irish Peace Centers
- Christian Volunteering
- Stories of Peace and Reconcilliation
A Corrymella Experience
- Identify and describe five major turning points in Irish history?
- What is the basis of the economy for the Republic of Ireland?
- What is the basis of the economy for Northern Ireland?
- Why did Northern Ireland remain part of the United Kingdom when the rest of Ireland formed its own country?
- What is the Troubles? How did they get started?
- How many English/Irish conflicts have there been?
- How was Spain involved Ireland?
- How did Ireland save Catholic Europe?
- What is Corymeela?
- Who are the Celts?
- What would you describe as the major aspects of Irish culture and traditions?