2014 Ireland Study Abroad Program
Activities / Itinerary
The following is the itinerary.
- Depart from Chicago, fly into Dublin
- BELFAST: Visit historic ruins of Monasterboice, famous for 10th Century Celtic high crosses. Short orientation tour of Belfast on arrival, including viewing Stormont, housing the Northern Irish Assembly, Queen's University and the Titanic exhibit at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- BELFAST/CORRYMEELA. Murals of the Falls and Shankill Road areas, where political messages were painted during the troubles (late 1960's – late 1990's). Travel to CORRYMEELA RECONCILIATION CENTRE for group lunch and check-in. Corrymeela is a place of refuge for Protestants and Catholics of all ages and walks of life to exchange their stories.
- CORRYMEELA/DERRY. Giant's Causeway for visit, the Rope Bridge, and a tour of Bushmills Distillery, entrances included.
- DERRY. Guided walking tour of the Bogside, including the Bloody Sunday Trust Museum and tour the Guildhall.
- DERRY/SLIGO. Morning departure by private motorcoach for Sligo, with en route visit in Donegal for lunch on own.
- SLIGO. Full-day guided touring to include Drumcliffe Church (High Cross, Yeats' Grave), Tobernalt Holy Well, Megalithic Graveyard at Carrowmore, Listoghil and Sligo Abbey.
- SLIGO/GALWAY. Galway, via Connemara with possible enroute visit to Croagh Patrick (hiking weather permitting).
- GALWAY. Visit to the National University of Ireland, Galway
- GALWAY /ARAN ISLANDS. Ferry to the Aran Islands, 2 nights on the islands.
- ARAN ISLANDS/GALWAY. Return by ferry to Rossaveal and transfer by private motorcoach to Galway.
- KINVARA. Visit to Kinvara
- LIMERICK. The Burren, with stop at the Cliffs of Moher and Bunratty Castle, entrances included. Lunch on own in Ennis.
- DINGLE. Full-day tour of the Dingle Peninsula, including Riasc monastic site and the Gallrus Castle and Oratory.
- CORK (Cobh). Visit to the Cobh Heritage Centre, entrance included. Afternoon maritime visit.
- DUBLIN. Cashel for a walking tour of the Rock of Cashel, an ancient medieval castle and religious center in Tipperary, entrance included. Panoramic city tour of Dublin including St. Patrick's and Christ Church Cathedrals, St. Stephen's Green, Temple Bar, and government buildings. 24-hour Dublin Tour Hop-on/ Hop-off public bus ticket provided for all students. Kilmainham Jail for an afternoon guided tour with site guide. Guinness Breweryfor guided tour, student ID required. Free day for independent exploration.
- Fly from Dublin to Chicago