I never really thought about it but when I look over a list of my hobbies it becomes obvious that I enjoy the outdoors. I like activities that are not straining but ones that you can have fun doing.
- Travel -- I love to see new things and I don't get to travel as much as I would like. In the last few years we have begun to stretch our wings a little. We have gone on several cruises to the Eastern and Western Caribbean. We have visited the islands of St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominica, Granada, Bonaire, Aruba, Barbados, and the Caymans. We have also visited Cozumel and Costa Maya Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica. In 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013 I spent a month in Australia and New Zealand. I spent about a month in total over two trips to Barbados in 2013. In 2014, I spent a month in Ireland.
- Photography - I have always liked to take pictures. Recently I became serious about it. I had my first show January 2013 at Jackson Avenue Cafe. YI have put up a Personal Gallery if you are interested.
- Reading - I do a lot of reading. I especially like Science Fiction/Fantasy space operas and 17th and 18th century British sea novels.
- Swimming - If you have seen some of the photos I have posted, I like casual swimming. Put another way, I like snorkeling, helmet diving, and would like to learn how to scuba dive some day.
- Bass Fishing -- Yes, I own a 1979 16' ranger boat with all the bells and whistles. It needs some work but I can't wait until next summer when I can fix it up and take my kids fishing.
- Camping -- You may have already seen the picture of our travel trailer. We own a 1967 16' Frolic travel trailer. It sleeps four and is very comfortable. We generally camp in Illinois but have taken the occasional long trip such as to Disney World. It is great for quick escapes.
- Collecting Coffee Mugs -- I guess everyone needs to collect something. I decided to collect coffee mugs (you should see my office). They are relatively inexpensive (so if they get broken it is not the end of the world) and they can reflect unique characteristics of the place you are visiting. Besides, I like coffee.